Please note: listed below are just a few examples of types of leave that may be granted. For all available types of leave, see http://rules-saps.tamu.edu/TAMURulesAndSAPs.aspx and/or http://employees.tamu.edu/benefits/leave/
- Death of a Family Member – Department Directors may approve up to five working days of emergency leave with pay for an employee. However, if the leave should exceed five working days, a request needs to come through the Vice President’s office. The emergency leave hours are not required to be consecutive but must be taken 30 days from the date of death.
- Severe Personal Crisis or Catastrophic Situation- Vice Presidents may approve up to five working days of emergency leave with pay for an employee. However, if the leave should exceed five working days, a request needs to go through the Vice President’s office and to the President.
- Unsafe Working or Travel Conditions- In situations where travel conditions make it unsafe to commute to work, all requests for emergency leave need to come through the Vice President’s Office. Please note that delayed school openings will not be considered a sufficient reason to grant emergency leave.
For more information on emergency leave, see SAP 31.01.01.M0.01
Eligible employees may take up to 12 weeks of leave during a fiscal year because of the following reasons: (1) the birth of a child; (2) the adoption, or placement for foster care, of a child; (3) to care for a child, spouse, or parent with a serious health condition; or (4) a serious health condition of the employee. Family and medical leave runs concurrently with paid and unpaid leave.
Sick Leave Pool
May be eligible to employees who exhaust all sick leave, vacation leave, and earned Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)/state compensatory time because of their own or an immediate family members’ catastrophic illness or injury.
Additional Leave with Pay
- Absence to attend conferences and professional meetings- These events are considered part of an employee’s regular work activities and requests to attend conferences or professional meetings will be submitted to the department head or designee for approval.
- Administrative Leave
- Educational Release Time Program- Employees may receive release time for class hours in pursuit of a graduate or undergraduate degree. Release time is limited to three hours per week. For more information regarding educational release time, see SAP 31.99.01.M0.01.
- Jury Service- An employee will be granted leave of absence with pay for jury service and will not be required to account to the university for any fee or compensation received.
- Leave to attend educational activity of a child- An employee who is the parent of a child who is a student attending a grade from prekindergarten through 12th grade may use up to eight hours of sick leave each fiscal year to attend educational activities of his or her children. Educational activity means a school-sponsored activity, including a parent-teacher conference, tutoring, a volunteer program, a field trip, a classroom program, a school committee meeting, an academic competition, and an athletic, music or theater program. The employee must provide reasonable advance notice of need for this leave. For more information, see SAP 31.03.03.M0.01.