AWARDS OF DISTINCTION / J. MALON SOUTHERLAND AWARD
AWARD OF DISTINCTION (INDIVIDUAL) / J. MALON SOUTHERLAND AWARD
Recipients are recognized for their outstanding individual contributions on behalf of the Division of Student Affairs.
The selection committee considers, but is not limited to the following criteria:
- Contributions toward job excellence – demonstrating performance on the job that is consistently outstanding and frequently outside the normal scope of prescribed duties.
- Innovation – demonstrating independent action and resourcefulness; encouraging new ideas and creativity; exhibiting leadership qualities within the context of position responsibilities; demonstrating other skills that exceed work expectations.
- Utilization of the Division’s commitments of responsibility, wellbeing, self-discovery, and diversity and inclusion to guide their practice.
Recipients must meet the following eligibility requirements to be recognized:
- Be a current Division of Student Affairs employee. All staff below the DSA Department Directors are eligible.
- Be full-time and budgeted at least 50% time.
- Have a minimum of six months of service, as of February 19, 2019, 5pm CST, in current department or any other department within the Division of Student Affairs.
- Not have received a Division-level award at any of the previous three DSA Awards ceremonies (2017, 2018 or 2019).
- J. Malon Southerland Award: the highest scoring award recipient will be awarded a $1,000 cash award and memento
- Award of Distinction (Individual): five individuals will each be awarded a $1,000 cash award and memento
- Nomination Form (separate nomination letter is not required)
- Two one-page letters of support (Letters of support must be submitted from individuals other than the nominator)
- Professional Photo of Nominee
Failure to follow nomination requirements exactly will result in a disqualified nomination. No exceptions will be made.
The nomination form will be open for submissions on December 21, 2018, and will close on February 20, 2019 at 5pm CST.
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU COMPOSE YOUR NOMINATION IN A WORD DOCUMENT AND COPY/PASTE RESPECTIVE FIELDS INTO THE BELOW NOMINATION FORM.
PAST AWARD OF DISTINCTION (INDIVIDUAL) AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Bruce Brown, Student Activities
- Kristie De La Garza, Student Counseling Service
- Susan Fox-Forrester, Student Life Studies
- Meredith Simpson, Office of the Commandant
- Donald St. Martin, Department of Information Technology
- Sandy Barrett, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Jarrett Hervey, University Center & Special Events
- Carl Ivey, Information Technology
- Justin Romack, Disability Services
- Robin Shuglie, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
- Jen Sommers, Residence Life
- Joseph Hartsoe, Disability Services
- Paul Harwell, Disability Services
- Jerrod Jackson, Recreational Sports
- Alyssa Leffall, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
- Christine Thoorsell, Residence Life
- Amanda Flores, Memorial Student Center
- Cory Arcak, Memorial Student Center
- Jerod Wilson, Recreational Sports
- Shanna Wright, Memorial Student Center
- Stephanie Bullick, Disability Services
- Paul Sikes, Music Activities
- Sherry Nesbitt-Vallejo, Residence Life
- Gerald Harris, Student Activities
- Lauren Dorsett, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
- Keith Joseph, Recreational Sports
PAST J. MALON SOUTHERLAND AWARD RECIPIENTS
2018-2019: Margaret Guzman, Residence Life
2017-2018: Julie Anderson, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
2016-2017: Elizabeth Daggers, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
2015-2016: Emily Ivey, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
2014-2015: John Whittemore, University Center & Special Events