- HR Memo Routing Table
- Memos should resemble the following format: Generic Memo
- In order to limit access to confidential information and to ensure that documents are filed in the correct location, each action being requested (for each individual) should have its own corresponding memo. Do not combine actions or individuals onto a single memo.
- Make sure to use the correct title when addressing the Vice President or supervising Vice Presidents. To ensure the correct titles are being used, refer to Titles for Memos for guidance.
- The subject line should state the exact purpose of the memo. Ex: If a 6-month hiring adjustment is being requested, it should look something like the following: “6-month hiring adjustment for Jane Doe, PIN #***”
- When possible, include PIN numbers in the subject line and in the body of the memo.
- If a monetary increase is being requested, include the percentage increase as well as the monetary amount.
- The body of the memo should be single spaced.
- Every document submitted becomes a permanent record. Therefore, make sure it is done professionally and accurately.
Creating a New Position
Other Career Ladders and Reclassifications
Reclassification occurs when a position’s job duties, responsibilities, and required qualifications are reevaluated and the position is assigned to a different title within the same PIN. Include any relevant information and proposed organization chart. Make sure to include the following information in the memo:employee’s name, the position identification number (PIN), the current and recommended salary rates (monetary amount and percent increase from original salary), justification, and source of funds.
SDS, CTO, and Student Counseling Career Ladders
- Routing Flowchart
- SDS Career Ladder Guidelines
- SDS Career Ladder Worksheet
- Include any relevant information and proposed organization chart as attachments.
Request to Post Position
This is not a formal memo, but rather an email that is sent from or goes through the director to the supervising Vice President. The approval decision will be received by the director through email. Request to post only applies to budgeted positions.
Request to Fill Posted Position
This is not a formal memo, but rather an email that is sent from or goes through the director to the supervising VP. The approval decision will be received by the director through email. Request to fill only applies to budgeted positions.
Classified Position over 10%
Non-classified Position over Posted Salary
Counter Offers, Merit Increases, and Equity Adjustments outside of Budget Cycle
Counter offers: should be used only when the employee possesses special talents that cannot easily be replaced.
Merit increases: clearly exceptional performance or accomplishment may occur for which a merit increase out-of-cycle may be appropriate. Very strong evidence, including a current written performance evaluation reflecting meritorious performance, should be shown as to why this increase cannot be made during the regular budget cycle.
An increase that may occur due to an external pressure in high demand areas, internal salary compression and other forces which may be beyond the control of the university department.
Temporary Salary Increase
May be paid to employees temporarily (but greater than 30 days) taking on additional responsibilities and duties beyond the scope of their current job description.
- For additional information, see SAP 31.01.01.M4
6-month Hiring Adjustments
May be given within three months after the end of the six months service for newly hired, internally promoted, or reclassified employees who have specific skills and experience above the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure to include: employee’s name, title and title code, date of hire, original hiring salary, proposed date of hiring salary adjustment, proposed salary (monetary amount and percent increase from original salary), justification, and source of funds.
Up to 10%
For additional information, see SAP 31.01.01.M7
Request to Terminate from Employment (involuntary termination)
Texas A&M Human Resources Employee Relations (ER) will guide the departments throughout the disciplinary process. Please contact ER at (979)862-4027, or email@example.com.
- The memo should be routed to the supervising Associate Vice President, not the Vice President for Student Affairs. If an appeal by the employee occurs, the Vice President will be the one to make the final decision and therefore cannot have approved the original action for termination.
- Request to terminate from employment only applies to budgeted positions.
- For additional information, see SAP 32.02.02.M0.02