Recipients are recognized for their outstanding individual contributions on behalf of the Division of Student Affairs.
The selection committee considers, but is not limited to, the following criteria:
- Contributions toward job excellence – demonstrating performance on the job that is consistently outstanding and frequently outside the normal scope of prescribed duties.
- Innovation – demonstrating independent action and resourcefulness; encouraging new ideas and creativity; exhibiting leadership qualities within the context of position responsibilities; demonstrating other skills that exceed work expectations.
- Utilization of the Division’s commitments of responsibility, wellbeing, self-discovery, and diversity and inclusion to guide their practice.
Recipients must meet the following eligibility requirements to be recognized:
- Be a current Division of Student Affairs employee. All staff below the DSA Department Directors are eligible.
- Be full-time and budgeted at least 50% time.
- Have a minimum of six months of service, as of March 8, 2018, 11:45pm CST, in current department or any other department within the Division of Student Affairs.
- Not have received a Division-level award at any of the previous three DSA Awards ceremonies (2015, 2016 or 2017).
- J. Malon Southerland Award: the highest scoring award recipient will be awarded a $1000 cash award and memento
- Award of Distinction (Individual): up to five individuals will each be awarded a $500 cash award and memento
- Nomination Form (A separate nomination form is not required)
- Two one-page letters of support
Failure to follow nomination requirements exactly will result in a disqualified nomination. No exceptions will be made.
The nomination form will be open for submissions November 1, 2017 – March 8, 2018, 11:45pm CST.
This form is not yet available.
Past Award Recipients
Past J. Malon Southerland Award Recipients
2015-2016: Emily Ivey, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
2014-2015: John Whittemore, University Center & Special Events
2013-2014: Jean Stanley, Music Activities
2012-2013: Gary Booth, Offices of the Dean of Student Life
2011-2012: Kelly VonDrehle, Recreational Sports